Tuesday, January 06, 2009
Jan 2009 New Translational Research Project Dviz & Senior Software Architect post
Representatives of UCD, IADT and Twelve Horses in late December 2008 signed a two year contract with the NDRC for the Dviz digital media technologies project. I am the UCD PI, Hilary Kenna in the IADT PI and Gabrielle Stafford leads the project with Twelve Horses Ltd.
The Dviz project is a collaborative digital technology research project between Twelve Horses, IADT and UCD, and is funded by the NDRC. This project brings together a diverse skill set from both its commercial partner and university research teams to realise an innovative visualisation platform with strong commercial potential.
Dviz itself is an online platform to facilitate the contextualisation of statistical data in realtime using dynamic visualisation technology. The ultimate objective of this project is to unlock the value of data by creating a platform that will enable users to visualise, manipulate and track data in a way that is meaningful for them. The resultant dynamic visualisations can then be used to investigate causal relationships to influence decision and policy making with evidence based conclusions.
Jan 6, 2009: The Dviz team is hiring a Senior Software Architect Link: http://tinyurl.com/7lr7lt
Draft Advert: Senior Software Architect - Dviz - (check Twelve Horses link for full and up to date advert).
The Senior Architect will be tasked with conceiving, designing, presenting and realising software and architectural approaches for the DViz platform and applications.
The ideal candidate must be fluent in modern enterprise and open source technologies, and must be able to apply these to a distributed system environment. A solid understanding of Web application technologies, databases, and performance parameters is a must. The ability to work independently as well as having excellent written and verbal communication skills is required.
The Senior Software Architect will be expected to technically review and manage the software development lifecycle, ensuring best practise process and techniques are deployed throughout design, implementation and testing, and appropriate metrics utilised to control and monitor the integrity and maintainability of the technical solution. Both conventional and Agile development lifecycle models will be used where appropriate, and full configuration management of all versions and variants will be maintained.
The Senior Architect will be expected to lead the following tasks:
* analysis of the requirements
* ensuring that the architectural design of the solution is consistent with the component architecture, and that all requirements are met
* providing guidance and refinements on the modelling and design process
* ensuring that the architecture fully covers all requirements, and has full traceability to requirements
* identification of any study, risk reduction, or prototyping stages that need to be planned into the development
Qualifications and/or Skills
* Minimum of 7 years Experience as Software Engineer
* Bachelor's Degree Computer Science or related field (Advanced degree preferred)
* Experience as technical lead in designing and architecting scalable enterprise solutions
* Strong programming skills in Java and J2EE required
* Web Services, GUI, SOA, JSP, and XML desired.
* Extensive knowledge of Object Oriented (OO) Analysis and Design